Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tanger Outlet 5K

This past Saturday, I completed the Tanger Outlet Family 5K in Myrtle Beach, SC.  This was no ordinary 5K for me this time.  This 5K had extra special meaning as this was my wife's first ever 5K.  I was looking forward to this race for a while and I was going to stay with her the entire race to help her make it through.

She was nervous and excited as the day arrived, but she definitely had one major item taken care of....her wardrobe for the race.  I just have to highlight the brand names she was wearing for the race.

Shoes - Saucony
Socks - Under Armour
Compression Pants - Nike
Running Skirt - Reebok
Shirt - Adidas

She definitely made sure she had the major brands represented. 

Here is a picture of us prior to the race.















There were 2 goals for the race.  The first was to simply finish the race and the second was to break the 45 minute mark.  She knew both were attainable and we were going to do it.  As the race started, we began with a comfortable jog and took it easy.  We would take walk breaks as needed and the run some more.  We had a good walk/run pattern going throughout the race.  The 5K course was 3 laps around the outlet shops.  As we passed by the finish area completing lap 1, we were making great time as being just under 14 minutes.  She knew the 45 minute finish could be attained.  Then after we passed the finish area, we heard clapping as the first person finished the race.  This guy was flying to finish that fast. 

After our second lap we were still making great time.  We were on pace to finish in less than 45 minutes.  I kept reassuring her that she could do it and as we rounded the final corner she was off to the races.  She left me in the dust on her way to the finish line!

Here she is crossing the finish line.  Her official time was 41:54!  She blew the 45:00 minute goal out of the water.  I was so proud of her.















A little tired after the race but I knew she felt great.  Way to go honey!

1 comment:

keens sandals said...

Such a cool idea to highlights the brand names..I love the shoes...