Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Day of School...Part 2

Well, today starts the first day of school for the traditional calendar schools. It was obvious that was the case as I drove in to work this morning. Before I was even 1/2 mile from my home, I had already passed two school buses and kids waiting on the corner for the bus.
The traffic was also busier than normal today. That should get better as time passes, but it definitely caused for a slower commute in to the office.
 
This is not only the first day of school for the kids, it is also the first day for my wife.  She teaches math at a local high school.  As all teachers know, they love the break during the summer and I am sure she did not want to go in this morning.  I bet the snooze button was a popular choice of teachers around the country this morning.  Just 5 more minutes.....
 
I still go back to the lines from Finding Nemo.  They are so appropriate for the first day of school.  Ready to learn and get some knowledge.  As Mr. Ray sang...
 
"Oh let's name the zones, the zones, the zones.
Let's name the zones of the open sea.
There's epipelagic, mesopelagic, bathyal,abyssopelagic
All the rest are too deep for you and me to see"
 
"Oh, let's name the species, the species, the species
Let's name the species that live in the sea
There's porifera, coelenterata, hydrozoa, scyphozoa, anthozoa, ctenophora,bryozoas, three! Gastropoda, arthropoda, echinoderma, and some fish like you and me. Come on, sing with me. Oh...!

Just the girls this time. Oh, seaweed is cool. Seaweed is fun. It makes it's food with the rays of the sun...
"Oh, knowledge exploring is oh so lyrical, when you think thoughts that are empirical."

Come on, sing with me! There's porifera, coelentera, hydrozoa, scyphozoa, anthozoa,
ctenophora, bryozoas, three!

"Oh, seaweed is cool. Seaweed is fun. It makes it's food with the rays of the sun"

Have a great first day of school everyone!
 

1 comment:

Tumbleweed Dee said...

Days like this are special for both the children and the parents. Enjoy them... the girls will be grown and out on their own before you know it. BTW, good job adding the map to your blog. Cheers! Jim