Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I Think I Can....I Think I Can

As everyone knows, there is a physical side to running. Everyone has to put in the training miles in order to prepare our bodies to go the distance. Whether that is a 5K, 10K, half or full marathon.

One of the biggest hurdles to a successful race is the mental side of running. As Henry Ford described, "If you think you can do it, you're right. If you think you can't do it, you're still right". These words are so true in what they mean. Having a positive attitude and thinking "I can" gives us the motivation to push through those final miles to the finish.

Just think about the adrenaline boost we get when the finish line is in sight. We may be cramping or completely exhausted at this point, but our mind sees the goal an you instantly turn in to an "I can" thinker. The next thing you know is you have crossed the finish line and you are overcome with the joy of the accomplishment.

As I prepare for the Rock n Roll Chicago Half Marathon this Sunday, I am beginning to prepare mentally. I am visualizing the race and the goals I have in mind. As the saying goes, "seeing is believing".

I can see all of the crowd cheering each and every runner on and I have to tell you, that makes a huge difference. Each one of those spectators is saying "you can". You will not hear any negative comments. They are all helping with the positive waves to push you through.

I can see the finishing time I have in mind that I would like to achieve. If I am not able to achieve that time, it is ok as I know I will have tried and just finishing is an accomplishment.

I think I can....I think I can.....I KNOW I can!

1 comment:

Stampleigh said...

I know I can't, I know I can't, I know I can't!

That's why I leave it up to you! ;-)