Sunday, December 23, 2012

Let the Taper begin!

On Saturday, I had my last long run leading up to the 20th Anniversary Disney Marathon. Lately, I have switched my running to the Neuse River Greenway and I am so glad that I did. We have a 6.5 mil stretch from the CASL Soccer Complex to the Falls Dam. Soon other stretches of the greenway will be opening.

For this run I decided to park at the soccer complex and run to the end of the greenway at Falls Dam and back. That would give me a 13 mile run. It was a cold morning so a stocking cap, gloves and an extra layer would be needed. Took about 1-2 miles to finally warm up, but it was not that bad. There many people out running and ran into (well not literally) my friend Jon as I crossed under Capital Blvd. He was close to finishing his 8 mile run.

Overall I was feeling good on my way to the turnaround at Falls Dam. I was in a good rhythm around a 10 min/mi pace. The second half of the run is where it started to become more difficult. Right at the 8 mi mark I started to get some significant pain in my left knee. At first it was on the outside of the knee and then worked its way to the knee cap area. I slowed my pace and shortened my stride length to take it easy. The pain was not getting any better. I had to revert to walking at that point. For the remaining 5 miles, my run turned into a painful run/walk. I ended up with a 10:45 min/mi pace which is not all that bad for me over that distance. Those last 5 miles were really tough. I had to keep giving myself encouragement to get through because of the pain. I knew not to push it.

At this point, I am glad I have reached the taper phase of the training. Knowing that it is just 3 weeks from the marathon, I did not want to make this worse. My knee can use some rest and I am even contemplating not running until the race. I may revert to rides on the trainer instead.

Submit a comment if you have any suggestions or feedback on this thought of riding instead of running.

Regardless of the knee pain, I am still looking forward to the race. It is going to be an awesome experience on January 13! My last time at the Disney marathon was 2010 where there was record cold temperatures. Hopefully we will mot have those temps again, but you never know. All eyes will be on the weather as the race date draws closer and closer.

There is so much excitement for a runDisney race and with this being the 20th anniversary just adds to the excitement. I can just picture all of the things that go on from my past experiences at marathon weekend and I cannot wait to see what the 2013 edition has to offer.

Until then, enjoy your taper time!

No comments: