Tuesday, November 27, 2012

1st Long Marathon Training Run

Hard to believe that we are almost to December. For everyone that is training for the Disney marathon that means you are probably at the long run point in your training. That is most certainly the case for me.

Training has been going well. So far, I have run more miles than ever before in a calendar year. Due to other commitments, I had to adjust my training schedule by a week. A week ago I did my first long training run. My daughter had a swim meet at NC State University and the plan was that I would run home from the swim meet when it was over. I know, it sounds ridiculous to drive to the meet and then say bye to my family as I run home. It is crazy, but these long training runs are important. The long runs are a perfect time to work on your race day plan from pace to nutrition.

I was blessed to have a friend offer to run with me. My good friend Ken joined me at the pool and we were on our way. One of the odd aspects of running the route we did was we have taken this route before. Why did I say it was odd, well we did this riding bikes before, never imagined I would run it one day.

It was a challenging route with many hills on the second half, but there is no way to avoid hills where I live. Regardless, it was great to get the run in and thank you Ken for your encouragement.

Once back home I started the recovery process with chocolate milk. I have not found anything better than chocolate milk. It makes a huge difference!

I have a couple of long runs to go prior to January, but looking forward to the race. It is going to be a fantastic time celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Disney marathon.

See ya real soon!

No comments: