Friday, April 8, 2011

Triathlon has arrived!


It is time to tri…triathlon that is!


The day is just about here when I compete in my first ever triathlon on Saturday. I have been looking forward to this day for a while now. The excitement has been building over the past 3 months with all of the training. It is amazing to look back at the training that has been logged leading up to this event. Since January I have swam a total of 25,150 yards, rode 147 miles on the bike and 38 miles on the run.

Another great aspect of preparing for this triathlon is to go through this experience with my good friend Jon. He will also be competing in his first triathlon Saturday. We have trained together several times and shared stories along the way. I know Jon is just as excited as I am that the event has arrived.

This evening is packet pickup at TrySports located at Crabtree Valley Mall. Final race instructions have been posted on the website and we now know our official race start time in the pool. I will be starting at exactly 8:18:30 AM on Saturday.

As I mentioned above, there has been a lot of physical preparation for the triathlon. In the same way there is also spiritual preparation that continues daily. I am reminded of what Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27...

24 Do you not know that the runners in a stadium all race, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Now everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. However, they do it to receive a perishable crown, but we an imperishable one. 26 Therefore I do not run like one who runs aimlessly, or box like one who beats the air. 27 Instead, I discipline my body and bring it under strict control, so that after preaching to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Run the race to win the ultimate prize!

No comments: