Sunday, April 10, 2011

My First Triathlon


I can officially call myself a triathlete!

Saturday, April 9 was the Granite Falls Triathlon. This was a sprint distance with a 300 yd pool swim, 10 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Going in to the event my expectation was to simply finish. I had been looking forward to this day for a while now.

I did not get the best night of sleep. At 4am I simply could not go back to sleep. I laid in bed and just thought about the race and strategy. Got out of bed at 5am, got dressed and then had some breakfast. Put the bike on the car rack and headed to pick up a friend who was also racing.

Once I arrived on scene, headed over to transition to begin the setup. It was definitely cold to start the morning with the temperature at 50 with light winds. After racking the bike and getting the gear setup for the transitions, it was time to get the timing chip and body marking. I was number 61. Interesting how many places you get your number written on you in permanent marker. Then in case you did not know or fogot, they write your age on your calves.

Now it was time to get focused for the race. Headed into the pool area and they had the heat kicking! Instantly thought how much fun coming out into the cold was going to feel after being all wet. I knew I couldn't change that, so I put that out of my mind.

My start time was 8:18:30. You start in the pool and not a start where you dive in. The swim will snake up and back for 6 lanes.

3, 2, 1....time to go!

I started out with a good pace and felt pretty decent. Around 150, I passed a couple of people and then there was more traffic in the final 100. Overall the swim was good. Finished right at 5 minutes. Hopped out of the pool and then it was time to hit the cold. At first it hit you, but then I never noticed it again. Going to T1 we had to climb a bunch of stairs. I was more worried about stubbing a toe on the steps. Once I got to T1, proceeded to get my sunglasses, helmet, socks and shoes on and it was time to start the bike. This was a hilly course so it was a good challenge. I passed a few people and was passed by others, but it was a good ride. Finished the 10 miles in 38:43.

In T2 I knew I would be quick as all I had to do was rack my bike, take my helmet off, grab my visor and race belt. Spent just 33 seconds in T2.

The run course also had it's challenges of hills. Went through a subdivision and the about a mile on a trail. As I came to the finish line there was my wife and two daughters cheering me to the finish. Such a cool feeling to have that support. Crossed the finish line in 1:14:21. Found out later I set a PR for my 5K with a 28:53.

I was in the Clydesdale category and finished 4th out of 8.

What an awesome feeling it was crossing that finish line and then to know that I am know a triathlete!

No comments: