Monday, January 17, 2011

First Swim

Today was my first day in the pool in a very long time. I believe the last time I put in an actual workout in the pool was when I was in 8th grade. That was when I was on a swim team. Come to think of it, I still have my towel from the Stingrays with my name embroidered on it. Doing the math, that was 23 years ago....yikes!

I knew it would be a little difficult so I took it easy on actually following a workout. I wanted to get in the pool and swim freestyle for some laps to get familiar again with that stroke and my breathing. I could not believe how poor my stamina level was. I know with time it will improve and I am glad I have 12 weeks until the triathlon. The plan I am following calls for 2 swims a week. I also swam a few laps of breaststroke and backstroke just to change it up a bit. Felt like I was actually equal in my breaststroke speed compared to the freestyle...:-)

It was also nice to be at the pool this morning and have it entirely to myself. The Granite Falls pool is a great facility and I found myself trying to visualize how the swim portion of the triathlon will be setup and the exit to the first transition area to head out on the bike. At this time they do not have the course maps finalized.

Overall I swam for 30 minutes with some breaks. I had a hard time counting my laps, but it was approximately 14 laps (350 yards). I am looking forward to my next swim and utilizing a swim plan my friend Jon provided to me. Jon is getting ready for this triathlon as well and I passed him on my way to the pool today as he was out running. Keep it up Jon!

No comments: