Friday, October 19, 2012

Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon Weekend

This weekend is the 3rd annual Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon.  If you are wondering what a mini marathon is, that is another way to describe a half marathon (13.1 miles).  On Sunday morning, 4,000 runners will take to the streets of Myrtle Beach reaching for new PR's and a surf board themed finisher medal.  Prior to the mini marathon on Sunday, the weekend also includes the Coastal 5K, High Heel Run and Doggie Dash on Saturday.  

I participated in the inaugural race in 2010 and had a fantastic time.  Starting with Saturday are some great events that are so much fun to watch.  The day begins with the Coastal 5K taking place at the marina at Grande Dunes.  This race will bring in many participants and I am sure several of them are first time 5K participants.  Shortly after the 5K is the High Heel Run.  The race is an 80 meter sprint.  No other way to describe this than to say it is just a blast to watch.  I remember watching that race and seeing all of these women wearing 3-4" heels sprinting.  I could not believe how fast the ladies could run in heels like that.  Now, it wasn't just all women racing, there was one guy who entered the race on a dare and yes, he finished.  He came in last, but he finished  The events on Saturday end with the 1.5 mile Doggie Dash.  It is a lot of fun to see all of the pets and their owners out running.  I am looking forward to cheering on my wife, along with my daughters, as she runs in the 5K.  Excited to see her run!

2012 Coastal 5K and Mini Marathon finisher medals!
Sunday will begin early with a race start of 7:00 am.  Planning on getting up early in order to have some nutrition to be fueled for the race.  At the starting line prior to the race beginning, trumpeters will be sounding the arrival of all the runners into the corrals.  The king and his knights from Medieval Times will be there and some battles may occur.  We will have to see what is in store for us.

The mini marathon will begin at Coastal Grand mall.  Our journey will take us to Broadway at the Beach near the halfway point and then we work our way to Ocean Boulevard.  One of the cool aspects of this race is the finish line area.  The finish line is on the boardwalk.  The crowd support at the finish line is amazing and how can you not enjoy finishing with the beach and ocean on your right.

My training leading up to the race has progressed well.  This week I have been focusing on hydrating and resting as I hope to possibly set a new PR (personal record).  My current PR for the half marathon distance is 2:17:08 that I set at the Tobacco Road Half in 2011.  This will also be my 10th half marathon I have raced in.

Looking forward to the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon weekend.  Good luck to everyone who is racing!

 
 

1 comment:

Jon Parks said...

Awesome write-up, my friend! Run swiftly on Sunday and set that PR you're seeking!

Jon