Friday, June 1, 2012

Ready for the Gary Kirby Triathlon

I am looking forward to the 2012 Gary Kirby Triathlon on Saturday. This was a great event last year and I knew I wanted to race it again this year. This race benefits cancer research in honor of Gary Kirby who passed away in 2006.

The race format is a 300 yard outdoor pool swim followed by a 4-lap bike course (12 miles) and then a 3.1 run through the Bedford Falls neighborhood.

I love how on the competitor shirt they have 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 listed which says "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances. For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus". Prior to the start of the race, the Kirby family gathers all of the competitors at poolside and tells about Gary and then opens the race with a word of prayer. A time to reflect on what Gary means to the event and to also allow God into your heart. What an amazing way to start the race.

This year I am looking to improve on last Year's time of 1:19:11. Regardless, I am going to enjoy the day and give all the glory to God.

No comments: